I am now 27. Shock. I don't dislike it, if I'm quite honest, I actually really like the number. I do not, however, like what 27 does to my skin. I am fortunate to have been in the beauty industry since the age of 21, learning how to look after my skin, and to know the science behind it. But after those years of looking after it, 27 has let me down, and my skin is where I am feeling my age. So I sought help from the only person I trust with my skin, Rachel Fox, who I have watched treat all kinds of skins for years. My first instinct was that I wanted a peel, but we settled on a new skincare routine, inclusive of a Retinol, which has never touched my skin prior to this, aiming to acclimatise my skin before a peel (due to the risk of hypo-pigmentation of Asian skins and peels!). As I have just started, I thought I'd go through the products, and my thoughts, then do a full review after a month or two. I also feel that there aren't that many posts on hardcore skincare for young-ish skins, like mine, especially on the Obagi 360 regime.
The kit is veryyyy simple - 3 products: Exfoliating Cleanser, SPF for the daytime, and Retinol 0.5% for the nighttime. Lovely, simple, and plenty of scope to add in any favourite products or treatments within your stash. Now, I have seen Obagi do amazing things for skins older than mine - completely overhauling tone and texture, and general resilience, and am hoping that this particular regime will help with this!
So the Exfoliating cleanser - fresh smell, foams up a little, scrubs gently, and actually appears to be diminishing hyper-pigmentation marks that I have. As this is an exfoliating cleanser (mechanically and chemically), I tend to use a balm first (The Body Shop Chamomile Cleansing Butter) to take off make up, and cleanse, then follow up with this, removing with my favourite tool - a warm flannel.
In the daytime I use my normal skincare - tends to be an Enzymatic Toner, a Vitamin E Toner, Avene's Cleanance Mat, and as the very last step of skincare, the Obagi Hydrafactor SPF 30. The consistency is almost melt-y, and blends into the skin beautifully. Of course, everyone should be using SPF daily, but it is especially pertinent if you are using Glycolics, Retinols etc.
Lastly, at nighttime, I use the Retinol 0.5% over my Toners, and under a luscious moisturiser - current choices are the Body Shop Vitamin E Sorbet, Nude's Pro Genius Oil, and Vichy's Aqualia Thermal. On top of everything, I have taken to layering the Botanics Cooling Lavender Gel, as I know Retinols can cause irritation. Additionally, the Botanics Ultra Calm Skin Relief Serum and La Roche Posay's Toleriane Fluide are brilliant alternatives, with more focus on the skincare aspect. Eyes are currently being treated with a sample sachet of Kiehl's Midnight Eye Recovery, and hands with La Couvent des Minimes Gardeners Hand Healer. And that is that. New skincare routine, with some big skin-turnover ingredients, and some lovely treats in between :)
If you are interested in the Obagi 360, I wholeheartedly recommend Rachel, who will talk through everything for her - info can be found at Rachel's Website and there are options for different ages too.
Much love,
Ani x